At Tornado Titans, the more unique you are the more celebrated you are.
You can determine if this is about people or storm chase setups — because today is a very unique setup that you don’t see come around very often.
What I expect
- Simply put, today won’t behave like most normal severe weather setups on the Plains. The storms that could produce tornadoes will probably resemble rain showers more than the big-time supercells we are used to.
- Storms probably won’t be prolific tornado producers, a lot of times you see these types of storms wind up and try to deliver a tornado and then they die.
- The overall tornado risk is very low today. I think a couple of limiting factors to today’s unique setup is that moisture was slightly more scoured out than models had previously predicted with dewpoints only in the low-60s today.
- The lack of robust and strong low-level wind shear will be a limiting factor.
- Still, the proximity to the upper-low means there is a lot of added spin in the atmosphere, so it is feasible there will be tornado warnings and perhaps a red dot or two.
The Bottom Line
Tornadoes are possible today, along with some small hail in Oklahoma and Texas. There is also a tornadoes possible setup further north we didn’t touch on, but it somewhat resembles yesterday’s setup just further northeast.